Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Lunch for less


Finally, we get a confluence of factors that allowed us to do lunch at Au Petit Salut on a weekday. The two factors? HB had Monday off after working overnight and, while wondering where to eat, I remembered APS!

My third time here and the menu has changed. The duck leg confit with the crispy skin and melt-in-the-mouth meat is gone! But the restaurant's kept the two main courses that I didn't think were great - the cordon bleu and the onglet beef, which looks like minute steak with pomme frites. Gone too is the seared tuna salad. Sigh.

For the entree, I had pork rillette. Can I say that it tastes like the pork in a pot thing that they sell in supermarket? It was nice but not shout-out-loud good. HB's cod was salty. Hmm, should have ordered some escargot instead.

The venison stew I had for the mains had lovely beefy broth and tender chunks of meat. HB's grilled tuna appeared well done when she had asked for rare. Fortunately, it still tasted good. The creme brulee was marred by the over-charred caramel crust. But we loved that the vanilla seed scrapings appeared generous in the smooth creme.

But the whole package, at $22+++, is a steal. And the expat wives know it - they take up most of the tables in the restaurant. And the three times I've visited, there's been a coven of Japanese women.

Let's do lunch there again!

It's Illy coffee here!



1 comment:

ChinkinIn said...

See? More than 1 week and no updates.

I just wonder what your eating out bill looks like. That's what I worry about if I get sent back to SIN. Seems like so many choices now.