Wednesday, October 31, 2007

ON A BALI HIGH

HB has never visited Bali, so we thought, well, let's go there for a short break. It's been 20 years since I was last there. And my, how things have changed. More roads, more buildings, more shops, more tourists. And better amenities. Back then, we were lucky to get a place with a fan and piped water - from a tap! And some things haven't. The ceremonies, temples, giant geckos and mosquitoes. But really, wasn't Ubud cooler way back when?

Yes, we decided to base ourselves in Ubud rather than the beaches thinking it would be cooler - and the guidebooks keep going, "Now why would you need airconditioning in Ubud?" Trust us, you do.
We booked the Hotel Tjampuhan Spa (better turn down your computer's volume) cos it looks pretty, has aircon in some rooms and has an interesting spa concept. Plus there was a good deal on AsiaRooms.com. Some negative comments from people not expecting to climb steps in a hotel built on the slope of a valley (d'oh!) on TripAdvisor. The staff was attentive and friendly.
Our welcome drink turned out to be rice wine. Very sweet and fruity (probably has some juice).
We shared the villa with, I think, three other rooms. But each room has its own entrance and is very spacious, with a balcony that overlooks the lush valley. Finishings are basic - just tiled floors, not plush marble, in the bathroom, bath fixtures not shiny chrome. But we were still chuffed by the size of the room. It had an attap roof, very rustic... and very permeable to insects and giant geckos. The mosquito coil that was lit up each night when the beds were turned down didn't keep the mozzies away. I'm sure I was bitten in the room. Didn't see them feasting on me when I was outdoors.

Even with signboards up, we sometimes got confused about where to turn to get to the room or the spa or the restaurant. The little man statue with a fresh hisbiscus on his head each morning was my marker.

But, as always, everyone wants a hibiscus in his/her head!
I like to gawk at the stone carvings at the entrance to the restaurant's buffet area. Very impressive. Wish I could do one like this at home. But, oh! The dusting!
The buffet spread at breakfast wasn't extensive. Eggs cooked a la minute anyway you want, toast and pastries, lotsa fruit, fruit salad (where we discovered a sprinkling of cornflakes on the last morning!), baked beans, sausage/bacon. And rice porridge - no meat in it, just sprinkles of spring onions, garlic. Strange.




No comments: